A 58-year-old Swiss man died after choking on noodle soup, he was consuming at a Guest House off Jomtien Beach Road on Tuesday afternoon.
Police and rescue workers arrived at the Sabai Guest House in Soi 12 off Jomtien Beach Road, but were unable to save Mr. Ernst Albert Meier. Nearby was his Thai girlfriend, Khun Janjira aged 32.
The pair reside in Switzerland and had come to Thailand, less than 1 month ago, for a holiday. They went to consume noodle soup at their favorite eatery and Khun Janjira saw Mr. Meier collapse and he was clearly struggling to breath. She did her best to clear the noodles from his mouth and his false teeth, which were causing a further obstruction, but he passed-away.
It was noted that the victim also suffered from acute Asthma, which may have contributed to his death. A post-mortem examination will take place and the Swiss Embassy in Bangkok have been informed.